I’m a bit
behind on blogging. This past week has been a whirlwind! I’ll have to make this
short though because I’m heading to the beach soon. :) To start off, coming back
from Manuel Antonio was a weird feeling. I actually felt like I was coming
“home.” This place is starting to feel less and less temporary and more like an
actual home to me. The day after I got back, the new group of students arrived
and I got a new roommate. I was kind of worried since I knew nothing but her
name but I was extremely relived when we clicked right away. Her name is Sarah
and she’s getting her masters degree in Spanish at the University of Alabama.
She’s pretty much fluent in Spanish which is definitely a plus since I still
have a little trouble communicating with Letecia.
Since there’s a whole new
group, they had another orientation, which I didn’t have to go, but went to
anyways to meet everyone. I was so overwhelmed walking into the orientation and
seeing so many people. I knew this group was going to be a lot bigger but it’s
so weird going from our small little group last month to now this. My little
social butterfly inside me was like, “How am I going to meet all of these
people?!” Despite there being so many people, I’ve already made some awesome new
friends.
A few days after they got here, the new group had their trip to Volcano Poas/La Paz Waterfall
gardens, which we had already done last month, so Courtney and I decided to
take a little mini vacation to Jaco, which is the closest beach to San Jose. We
got there later in the afternoon and went and got a hostel (not as nice as the
other ones we’ve had) and went to dinner and out that night. The next day we
went to the beach and then got the bus home late that afternoon. It was nice to
have another little mini vacation before classes started up the next day!
The
first day of classes this week was probably the only “bad day” I’ve had since
I’ve been here. I went to my new class and was immediately overwhelmed. Our teacher went
straight into “reviewing” a topic that I had never learned before and was only
speaking in Spanish. I kept looking around the room hoping someone else in
there was just as lost as I was but everyone seemed to know exactly what she
was talking about. It was kind of like that feeling when you’re in the deep end or out in the ocean and you catch a cramp and you’re doing everything you can just to
not drown. Okay maybe that’s a bit dramatic and that’s never actually happened
to me but you get what I mean. It was a bad feeling. I think it’s pretty easy
for people to read my emotions on my face and my teacher must have seen my
“what the heck are you talking about/I’m so lost” face because she pulled me
aside after class. I didn’t want her to think I was a total idiot so I made
sure to tell her that I have only been learning for a month and she agreed that
this class was probably going to be too much for me to handle, which I
definitely agreed with. Only problem was there wasn’t a lower class so my only
option was to switch teachers the next day and hope for the best. Also, this
was the class I need for my requirements to graduate. I was so worried that
entire day that the other class was going to be just as hard and I was doomed
for this month. I went and found some people after class who were in the other
class and talked with which made me feel a lot better because they seemed to be
more on my level of Spanish knowledge. Regardless, I still had myself a nice
little pity party when I got home that afternoon and felt really sorry for
myself. Again, I was being a tad dramatic this day. We all have those days :) But
alas, my wonderful new roommate is studying to be a Spanish teacher and she had
a textbook she brought with her that she thought might help me. I spent that
entire night trying to play catch up to get to what we had covered in class
that day. I even passed up a trip to Chicago with all of my friends. Who am I?!
The next morning, I went and switched into the new class and
nervously went and sat down after they had already been having class for 30
minutes. I’ll do another analogy to let you know how it was. You know
when you’re in the car or almost home and you all of a sudden have to go to the
bathroom REALLY bad? Every single time it happens you think “I have NEVER had
to go THIS bad!!” When you finally get to go it’s like you have no worries at
all anymore. Okay, well that’s what it felt like going into my new class :) It was such a relief.
They were reviewing things that I had in fact learned last month and everyone
seemed to be on about the same page as me. I love my new teacher and my
classmates are really fun. I’m not doomed! It also turns out that even though
that was the same class, it was a big more advanced. Whew. My teacher still only
speaks Spanish in class, but it’s much easier to follow than the one the first
day. Even though this class is “easier” than my first one, this first week of
classes has definitely been challenging. I’ve had to study and do homework waaay
more than I did last month (which is why I’m behind on my blog). We had our
first test/presentation yesterday and I think I did okay. We’ll see on Monday
though! Cross your fingers.
This past week, Letecia also had some family in town from
Miami. They’re Costa Rican but have lived in the states for a long time. They
weren’t staying here at our house, but every night all of them and all of the
family that lives in San Jose would come over here. I met so many new faces and
it was so lively every night. It’s typically pretty quiet over here so it was
nice to change the pace up a bit.
This weekend while the new group is at Tortuga for the day, my friend Connie and I are going to do another little trip to Playa Dominical which is a few hours away from San Jose. I want to take advantage of my free days and see as much of Costa Rica as I can! Until next time, amigos.

No comments:
Post a Comment