Today was the most interesting day so far. We had to be at
the school early this morning so we woke up around 6:30. For breakfast, Leticia
made fried eggs with some sort of tomatoes paste on top. I wasn’t sure by the
looks of it, but it ended up being pretty good. Jasmia and I will normally ride
the bus by ourselves to school every morning but Leticia rode with us this
morning so we’ll know how to do it next time. It was about a 12-minute bus ride
(I timed it so we would know about when to leave the house by from now on) and
about a 5 minute walk after that to the university. I’m sure we’ll find a few
different routes we could end up taking.
We got to school and first went to a lecture hall where we
had a slide show presentation about the university, the instructors and more in
depth as to how the program will be. The presentation was all in Spanish so I
was a bit lost besides the pictures on the slides. However, they did tell us
several times in English that Universidad de Costa Rica is by far the most prestigious
school in the country, which I thought it pretty neat!
We were then broken up into groups where we had professors
give us tours of the campus. This was really the first time we got to interact
with the other students not from Memphis and I loved getting to know everyone
in the group I was in. The campus is much larger than I thought it was! My feet
hurt by the end of the tour. The grounds of the school are so green and lush.
They said it’s not unusual to even some certain tropical animals roaming around
campus. They also showed things to do on campus and in the surrounding area so
it was nice to finally get the hang of where things are.
![]() |
| This gives you a good idea of how green the campus is |
After the tour, we had the placement test that I was not
looking forward to. Not to my surprise, I had to leave the majority of the
written portion blank, which they said was okay to do. We then had one-on-one
oral exams and surprisingly I did okay and the instructor said she thinks I’ll
be able to pick up the speaking part pretty quickly. The school provided lunch
for us after our test in one of the buildings where most of our classes will
be. Like everything else I’ve had here, very delicious.
Once we had all finished lunch, it was only about 12:30 so
we wanted to explore around a little bit and go see the San Predro mall that’s
near campus that a lot of people had been telling us about. A big group of us
walked over there and looked around for a bit. It was huuuuuge. The best part was the food court
and the movie theater! On Wednesdays, movies are 2 for the price of one (there
really cheap either way), so we’re planning on going when we get out of class
on Wednesday. A lot of them are even in English. After the mall, we walked back
towards campus and got some ice cream at “Pops” which is a pretty popular ice
cream place around here. About ten of us ended up hanging out there for about
an hour and a half just talking and getting to know each other better.
![]() |
| Inside the mall |
![]() |
| Pops Ice cream |
We all
decided to head back to our houses and Jasmia and I went back to where our bus
had dropped us off and waited and waited for a bus that had “Cedros” on it.
This was quite the guessing game until we finally saw a bus that said it was
going to our neighborhood. It was quite the ordeal not only finding the bus but
also trying to pay for it. Apparently I handed him the wrong amount of colones
and had to dig in my bag for my wallet, which kept the whole bus waiting. I
hate when I look like “that American.” Jasmia and I got the only 2 seats left
so it was a crowded ride back home.
When we got home, we realized our internet was still out
from the storm. We needed to contact our parents and stuff so we asked Leticia
where the nearest internet café was. It ended up only being about 4 blocks away
but she told us she wanted to drive us there so we didn’t get lost. We spent an
hour there and coincidentally ran into some other people from our group whose
internet was also out from the storm. It gets dark pretty early here (a little
before 6) so we headed back to the house around then. It was nice to finally
walk around to see what’s in the neighborhood. We got back to the house and had
dinner that was something I actually knew the name of--spaghetti! I also
learned tonight that in Costa Rica, dinner is typically a small meal and lunch
is much larger. There was a pretty big soccer game going on today between two
rival teams in the Costa Rican league and all day we saw people in the streets honking,
waving flags and chanting. During dinner we could hear the neighbors screaming
at the TV which I thought was pretty funny.
After dinner, we did what we did the night before and tried
communicating some more with our dictionaries. She also brought out the cookies
from my parents that came in the basket. She said they were muy delicioso and
she was right. I could have eaten the whole packet.
Tomorrow the school is taking us out of the city and we’re
going to one of Costa Ricas active Volcanoes (they have 7) and then to one of
the national parks where some huge waterfalls are. I’m really looking forward
to it!






No comments:
Post a Comment